New York Times - Bombing on US Embassy in Turkey
I would just like to reiterate a few points that Heidi already made, because there is no reason to panic yet.
- Our trip is still 75 days away. We are not leaving tomorrow.
- Security measures are being increased around many Middle Eastern countries. The United States (and also United Kingdom) have made many advisories in the past few weeks to lessen involvement in more dangerous places.
- The United States and Turkey have generally positive relations. This one suicide bomber, not an organized attack from a group. Future potential threats are still low.
- The attack was relatively small. Other than the bomber himself, there was only one casualty, a security guard.
- We are on a private tour. - people who know the current situation in Turkey. Not only will they avoid threatening areas, but if any danger arises, they will likely be able to work out differences without the cultural barriers we would encounter, such as language.
There is no reason to worry just yet!!! It will be a fun trip!